Frequently Asked Questions

What is is a comparison engine (sometimes called a meta-search) offering you the ability to compare car rental rates from a number of car hire providers without you having trawl the web to find the best deals.

What is a voucher?

After making your reservation you will receive a voucher from your car rental provider. You can think of this voucher as a ticket to be presented when you collect your vehicle. The voucher will contain important information such as the location of the desk to collect your vehicle from.

What is a Refundable Excess?

On certain vehicles a Refundable Excess Policy is provided. This policy covers you for the excess that you may be charged if damage is caused as a result of an accident.
The local supplier may charge an excess but it can be reclaimed providing you have a police report and have completed an accident report form on returning your car.
The excess will then be refunded upon receipt of the relevant documentation.

When do I pay for additional extras?

Additional Extras such as child seats, additional drivers, ski racks, snow chains etc. will either be payable in advance or payable locally (when collecting your vehicle). The majority of additional extras are payable locally, but you may wish to check this with your supplier.

What is a winterisation fee?

A winterisation fee is an amount charged by some suppliers during certain periods of the year to cover the cost of additional equipment added to the vehicle over this period. This is typically charged in Austria, Switzerland and France during the winter season.

Will my car rental agreement include insurance?

If you are hiring a car in the UK, Europe, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia your car rental agreement will include cover for: CDW (Collision Damage Waiver), also known as LDW (Loss Damage Waiver), Third Party Liability and Theft.
There may be an Excess on the CDW and Theft part of the rental agreement. Ocassionally car rental providers will offer a 'zero excess' policy. If you wish to reduce your excess to zero you can do so at the car rental counter when you collect the vehicle or via a 3rd party company such as Insurance 4 Car Hire.
If you are hiring the car in the USA, Canada, the Caribbean and South America, it is generally the case that your car rental will not include insurance. The renter must purchase CDW (Collision Damage Waiver)/LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) and Supplemental Liability Insurance. This is sold at the car rental counter and will cost between US$ 20 and US$30 a day.

What does Excess mean?

When you hire a car your car rental agreement includes cover for: CDW (Collision Damage Waiver), Third Party Liability and Theft.

There is almost always an Excess on the CDW and Theft part of the car rental agreement. This means that in the event of theft or damage to the rental vehicle, you must pay the first portion of the cost to the car rental company. The amount of excess varies from country to country. You can see the excess amount by clicking on a cars name after you obtain a quote on Car Hire Search.

Must I take Excess Cover?

No, Excess is a voluntary insurance, which you can decline. If you do subsequently have damage to the vehicle or it is stolen, you will be liable for the Excess charge.

What do car rental companies typically charge if you lose the keys to your rental car?

Most car rental companies will charge between £100 and £150 if you lose the keys to the rental car.

Does it cost more for additional drivers?

Generally car rental companies will charge extra for an additional driver to be added to the rental. Although some companies provide an additional driver for free. You will need to check a vehicles terms and conditions to see the companies policy on additional drivers.

Will I be charged for a child seat?

Yes, all companies charge a fee per day for this service. Child restraint seats are required by all countries for children under the age of 5 or less than 40 lbs in weight.

Do I need a credit card?

Yes, all companies insist that principal and additional drivers possess a valid credit card at the time of signing the rental agreement.